Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fix the Economy with Coconut Pudding


When I told some friends about the authentic Hawaiian food at Hukilau, they had this sort of distinguished look on their face, nodding in approval, and saying “oh, poi and roasted pig?” and I said “Nope. REAL Hawaiian Food: Like a egg on top of a hamburger patty, on top of a bowl of sticky white rice covered with gravy! You know REAL Hawaiian food?” I’m a Spam lover too, but since I wanted to enjoy the coconut pudding, I ordered the chicken salad with the Maui Onion dressing on the side. It was super tasty.

I didn’t have time to eat my coconut pudding there; so I ordered it to go. I threw in a paper napkin and a pair of chopsticks. Fast forward one hour; I’m sitting in front of my gym (yes, the gym) with the container full of firm fresh coconut pudding and chopped pineapple and a pair of chop sticks. I gobbled it up while listening to the horrible state of the economy. But you know what? When I have coconut pudding, I don’t really care about the economy … for a moment.

I was there on official secret business with Uptake and the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau (promoting their campaign, “Hawaii: A Thousand Reasons to Smile”,trying to score on a free trip to Hawaii. Apparently I have just as much chance as everybody else. I entered their contest and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You should enter it too!

7 comments:

  1. You know, I've never had Hawaiian food before. I bet it's damn good!

    Sitting in front of a gym and eating dessert ... sounds like something right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, desserts will make you forget everything bad. You just made me very hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha Sharon,

    Great meeting you at the Hukilau blogger meetup last week. Awesome food and friendships made. Just a quick little note on the difference between things that are "Hawaiian" and things that are "of Hawaii." For example, the foods you describe like loco moco and Spam are actually foods that are enjoyed by locals in Hawaii, but not Hawaiian in origin. Whereas, food like kalua pig, poi, poke, laulau, etc. would be considered Hawaiian food because it is the food of the Hawaiian people. People get this mixed up all the time, so I just wanted to clarify. Just because something or someone is from Hawaii, doesn't make it/them Hawaiian. Like me, I'm a Chinese/Korean born and raised in Hawaii, but not Hawaiian at all. Hope this clarifies the difference between being "Hawaiian" (a race of people here in Hawaii) and "of Hawaii."

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl, I'm from California and I've never surfed, but if it'll hook me up in the right fashion, I'll don some long shorts and yell cowabunga! Reading your post makes me realize I should recommend a wine equivalent to yer coconut pudding, the 2006 Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet. How the h-e-double-toothpicks do they get all that coconut in that vino? I know American oak contributes to that n'all, but it's like a damn Starbucks drink with its cocoa/coffee/coconut deliciousness... a real TBO(taste bud orgasm). It aint cheap at 75 greenbacks, but it's a helluva lot more reliable than other things that cost much more :) Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Akilah and Summer - I'd love you try it someday and let me know.

    Nathan - Um. Thanks.

    Whine-o - I'd just rather have a starbucks

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was great chatting with you at the Hawaii travel meetup - we shared ... a little loco moco, a little kalua pork & cabbage, some mahi mahi and some aromatic garlic fries. Yummy.

    I'm hoping you'll write a guest post on your favorite restaurant for my site.

    msg me
    http://twitter.com/juliemarg

    ReplyDelete
  7. haven't we become so popular???

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.