Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Let Love Win - Vote No on 8

Let’s say, for the sake of consideration, that your child is gay and will thereby grow-up to be a gay grown-up who wants and deserves equality and human rights. My nephew is one of those people. When he was five, he would wrap himself up in sheets fashioned to look like evening gowns and sashay around as if there was a runway competition in the living room. He’d love to pretend he was me. Aunt Sharon. I was so honored and I was 17.

One day the little kids from the neighborhood discovered a new word: “Faggot.” I know this because my nephew came inside sobbing “They said I’m a faggot! What’s a faggot?” I was so angry I felt like throwing rocks at the little bastards, but instead, we just stayed inside and played.

Voting Yes on 8 is like that day all over again, but in grown-up world. I don’t understand any objections to gay marriage. I’ve tried to see the other side and to empathize but I still just don’t get it. I mean, are people afraid that someone’s going to make them be gay? Are they afraid their kids might “turn” gay? If so, that probably can be handled in a therapists’ office, not the ballot box.

Someday American’s will look back on these days of gay prejudice with shame and disgrace as we do when we recall outlawing interracial marriages once upon a time.

3 comments:

  1. The sad and digusting truth is that not everyone DOES look back at that time of racial prejudice and banning inter-racial marriage as a disgraceful period in American history.
    My kids are amazed that ANYONE cares who marries who and I am so proud of them for that. They don't see color, and do appreciate that differences in people, whether it is race, or sexual orientation (although they really don't even get that part yet) is what makes the world go round. They understand that some boys like boys as friends and some boys like boys instead of girls, and the other way around.
    Who fucking cares?? Let the gay population have the same crack at fucking up their own marriages just like we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sharon! I have the sole No on 8 sign on my street, and there have been daily Yes on 8 rallies in my town. I look at my two little boys and I think about what I want for them growing up. I want them to be happy, successful, and at peace with their lives. I want them to be treated well and to treat other people well. I want them to fall in love, get married, and have babies, if that's what they want. And I want those things whether they're straight, gay, bi, or whatever.

    I really don't understand what people fear so much. I read a letter to the editor today that said No on 8 will destroy society just as deregulation destroyed the economy. I just don't get it, but it makes me ashamed.

    Thanks for speaking up! No on 8!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just CANNOT believe that this nonsense passed!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.